Stopping a Bad Habit in 2020
Try five key principles to maximize the chances of success in stopping a bad habit this year.
(1) Drop “resolution” and use “commitment” for a stronger sense of promise in reaching your goal.
(2) Substitute a good habit for the bad habit. For example, instead of hitting the couch when you arrive home, immediately grab workout clothes and leave to go exercise. This replacement activity reduces the intensity of missing the activity you are giving up.
(3) As you progress, even on the second day, help by sharing with others your energy and plan for success. This reinforces your own commitment to move forward.
(4) Meet with someone who will be excited about your goal and cheer you on. Your company’s EAP is an ideal person for this role.
5) Plot, plan, and score your progress, and keep this chart in easy view.